French Onion Pizza au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced deli roast beef, coarsely chopped
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 3/4 cup French onion dip
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- In a large skillet, saute onion with brown sugar in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in vinegar and garlic. Remove from the heat; add bourbon if desired. Continue cooking until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- In another skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender; add roast beef and heat through.
- Place crust on a pizza pan; spread with French onion dip. Layer with mozzarella cheese, onion mixture, red pepper, mushroom mixture and Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with rosemary.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 327 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 13, 2019
All my favorite flavors in the world and I found it very underwhelming. Did not feel the flavors mixed well. I love French Onion Dip from the store but couldn't find any so made it myself with Lipton's Golden Onion Soup mix and maybe that was the problem, or maybe the brown sugar in the caramelized onions altered the wonderful taste of caramelized onions?
Feb 9, 2011
This pizza was fantastic. I dont like onions but wanted to try it because my husband loves onions. I used a red onion and the flavor was so sweet and zesty. We also made a homemade pizza crust. Would eat this once a week if I could!!
Feb 9, 2011
This pizza was truly amazing! (I didn't add the bourbon) I will make this again and again. Perfect for a dinner party app. or family main course!
Feb 7, 2011
We apologize for omitting the baking temp in this recipe. It will be corrected here soon. The pizza should be baked at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Feb 6, 2011
I'm making this for the super bowl & the recipe does not have an oven temp.
Jan 31, 2011
My family loved this pizza, the leftovers were even good cold.