From Dansville, Illinois, Lori Piatt shares the secret behind her savory spuds. "I dress up instant potato flakes with cream cheese, French onion dip and garlic salt," she explains. "I'm always elected to bring these rich potatoes to family get-togethers."
Recommended: 55 Savory Ways to Enjoy Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, 1/3 cup butter and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in potato flakes. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and onion dip. Stir into potatoes. Add garlic salt.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with paprika. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Mashed Potatoes in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p54
Reviews forFrench Onion Mashed Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review