French Onion Garlic Bread
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, 1 garlic clove and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic; stir until creamy. Spread over bread slices. Place on a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; top with onion mixture and Gruyere cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 323 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 28, 2018
Easy and a huge hit
Mar 26, 2015
This bread is delicious!
Jan 9, 2014
This bread was soooooo good! I made it for a Christmas party and it was a huge hit. I can't wait to make it again.
Feb 15, 2013
This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.