French Onion Garlic Bread
My husband and I love creating new recipes together based on our favorite foods. This is our very first creation as a married couple. The cheesy bread can also be use as an appetizer for a party. —Taryn Camp, Oviedo, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, 1 garlic clove and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic; stir until creamy. Spread over bread slices. Place on a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; top with onion mixture and Gruyere cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 323 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as French Onion Garlic Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Jan 28, 2018
Easy and a huge hit
Mar 26, 2015
This bread is delicious!
Jan 9, 2014
This bread was soooooo good! I made it for a Christmas party and it was a huge hit. I can't wait to make it again.
Feb 15, 2013
This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it.