My husband and I love creating new recipes together based on our favorite foods. This is our very first creation as a married couple. The cheesy bread can also be use as an appetizer for a party. —Taryn Camp, Oviedo, Florida
Featured In: 25 Christmas Potluck Appetizers for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, 1 garlic clove and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic; stir until creamy. Spread over bread slices. Place on a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; top with onion mixture and Gruyere cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Garlic Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p38
Reviews forFrench Onion Garlic Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2015
"This bread is delicious!"
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2013
"This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it."