Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4 large white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir in salt and pepper. Add the consomme and sherry if desired; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow 2-qt. baking dish or individual baking dishes. Spread remaining butter on both sides of bread; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Place bread on top of onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
1 each: 378 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1201mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.