VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir in salt and pepper. Add the consomme and sherry if desired; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow 2-qt. baking dish or individual baking dishes. Spread remaining butter on both sides of bread; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Place bread on top of onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Bake in Country Extra January 1995, p47
Reviews forFrench Onion Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2014
"This is simple to make. It is very tasty. I omitted the optional Sherry. This and a salad could make a complete meal."