- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, egg, sugar, shortening and salt; mix well. Add flour; mix until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread with 1 tablespoon softened butter. Fold corners to the middle and then fold in half. Wrap dough in waxed paper; chill for 30 minutes. Repeat rolling, buttering, folding and chilling steps twice.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; roll into a 34x5-in. rectangle. Cut into 16 triangles; roll up each triangle from wide edge to tip and pinch to seal. Place rolls, tip down, on greased baking sheets and curve to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. For icing, combine sugar, milk, butter and extracts; spread over warm rolls. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews forFrench Crescent Rolls
"Wow, love these. I added a Tbls. of poppy seed to the dough and used sliced almonds vrs. walnuts. I made a double batch, took them to bible class at church and came back with an empty container ad lots of compliments."
"These are absolutely awesome! A little extra work, but well worth it!"