- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, egg, sugar, shortening and salt; mix well. Add flour; mix until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread with 1 tablespoon softened butter Fold corners to the middle and then fold in half. Wrap dough in waxed paper; chill for 30 minutes. Repeat rolling, buttering, folding and chilling steps twice. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each into an 11-in. circle, 1/8 in. thick. Cut each circle into eight wedges; roll up from wide edge to tip of dough and pinch to seal. Place rolls, tip down, on greased baking sheets and curve to form crescent. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. For icing, combine sugar, milk, butter and extracts; spread over warm rolls. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews forFrench Crescent Rolls
"Wow, love these. I added a Tbls. of poppy seed to the dough and used sliced almonds vrs. walnuts. I made a double batch, took them to bible class at church and came back with an empty container ad lots of compliments."
"These are absolutely awesome! A little extra work, but well worth it!"