French Cream with Sugared Grapes
Looking for a truly elegant finale for your holiday dinner? My dessert will do the trick. It looks so regal surrounded by pretty sugared fruit, and the flavor is divine. A friend gave me this recipe several years ago, and it's been in high demand at my house ever since.—June Bridges, Franklin, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Seedless green and red grapes
- Additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sour cream and cream until well blended. Gradually stir in sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture is warm and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 40 seconds. Stir; let stand for 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into sour cream mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add gelatin cream mixture and vanilla just until combined. Pour into a 4-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Chill for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Dip grapes into water and shake off excess moisture; dip into sugar, turning to coat. Unmold dessert onto a serving platter; surround with sugared grapes.
Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or fat-free sour cream and cream cheese are not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 451 calories, 35g fat (22g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 30, 2009
This is delicious! I made it for my office party 2 years ago and it was requested last year and again this year. Very rich and creamy. My co-workers were very impressed by the presentation. Love it!