French Bread Stuffed with Beef
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large baked potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potato, soup, mushrooms, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell; set aside. Place the removed bread in a blender; cover and process until crumbled. Add 1 cup of crumbs to beef mixture (save remaining crumbs for another use). Stir in cheese.
- Spoon beef mixture into bread shell; replace bread top. Wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 369 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 22, 2011
Switched out the beef for ground sausage. Fantastic and easy!
Jul 26, 2011
Although the beef filling is delicious, the bread gets soggy too quickly. I guess if you eat immediately it might be OK. My guess is that this filling would be FAR, FAR better as a type of stroganoff, served with noodles. It tastes kind of like beef stroganoff (probably due to the mushrooms. I will just skip the bread next time!