French Apple Tart
I used to prepare this eye-catching tart with my grandmother. It has a buttery, tender crust that's topped with glossy glazed apple slices.—Esteban Vazquez, Encino, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon apple brandy or water
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, sugar and salt; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water in a steady stream until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to a 14x10-in. rectangle; transfer pastry to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Beginning at one corner of the pastry, arrange overlapping apple slices diagonally to opposite corner. Repeat rows. Sprinkle with sugar; dot with butter.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine preserves and brandy; microwave on high for 30 seconds or until blended. Brush over warm tart. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as FRENCH APPLE TART in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.