"This flavorful soup tastes so fresh you'll never know it's been frozen," says Elizabeth Moore of Frankfort, Kentucky. You can easily double the recipe when tomatoes are plentiful or toss in extra vegetables from your garden. For heartier fare, beef it up with ground beef, sausage or meatballs.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- SOUP BASE:
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- In a kettle or Dutch oven, combine the soup base ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Cool.
- Place 2 cups each into freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 2 batches (4 cups total).
- To prepare soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a kettle or Dutch oven. Add potatoes and water; simmer for 30-40 minutes. Yield: 2 batches (4 servings each).
Originally published as Freezer Vegetable Soup in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p34