Freezer Salsa Jam
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. + standing
- 2 cups finely chopped plum tomatoes (6 to 7)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh or canned jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, cilantro, peppers, lime juice, zest and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and pectin; stir in water. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in tomato mixture; continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour into jars or plastic containers. Cover and let stand overnight or until set, but not longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 45 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Aug 27, 2013
Just gave this recipe a try--one thing I noticed as I put it together--1/4 cup water is not enough to even moisten the sugar and pectin mixture. After checking my pectin package insert, I upped the amount to 1 cup--won't know if that works until tomorrow ;)