Freezer French Toast
I don't care for prepackaged frozen French toast, but I rarely have time in the mornings to prepare it from scratch. Then my friend gave me this wonderful recipe. I keep a freezer full of these slices and simply pop them into the oven for a homemade breakfast in no time.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 20 min.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Place bread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread. Let soak for several minutes, turning once to coat. Freeze until firm. Package in airtight containers.
- To bake, place bread on a well-greased baking sheet. Dot with butter. Bake at 450° for 7 minutes; turn and bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 220 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Freezer French Toast in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook