Freezer Cucumber Pickles Recipe
- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 8 medium)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1. Rinse ten 2-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Divide cucumbers, onions, salt and water between two large bowls. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Do not drain.
- 2. Add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup vinegar to each bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to prepared containers, leaving 1-in. headspace for expansion; freeze up to 6 months.
- 3. Thaw pickles in refrigerator 8 hours before using. Serve within 2 weeks after thawing. Yield: 10 pints.
Test Kitchen Tip
1/4 cup: 47 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Freezer Cucumber Pickles
"I have made them for a couple of years and they are delicious. The only thing is I added 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter to maintain the color"
"Are these like bread and butter pickles? Just crunchier?"
"How long do these pickles have to stay in freezer before they are ready to eat?"
"Has anyone tried this by omitting the sugar and adding dill?"
"Can these be frozen in glass canning jars?"
"Just for the record , the recipe does not say anything about being best if used in 6 weeks of freezing... It says 6 MONTHS.;and then after they are thawed to use them within 2 weeks !It is a good recipe. Fast and very easy to make."
"I didn't personally make these, but a friend did. They are incredible. She is nervous when it comes to canning, so this was perfect for her. She did the recipe exactly as it's stated."
"I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe, but decided to give it a try. They are soooo good!!!! Crispy and full of flavor!!! I didn't divide anything, just used big bowls. Yes, you can keep them in the freezer longer than 6 weeks, but they won't last that long."
"5 stars for taste but the recipe "as is" only does about 5-6 pints. All in all a good freezer pickle."
"I have been making these since the recipe first appeared in the magazine. My family loves them, they can sit and eat them right out of the jar !"
"I make these every year and have shared the recipe with many people. My kids love them and we eat them all winter long - reminding us of summer's bounty!"
"I fixed this cucumber dish. It was very good!!!I would like to know if anyone has a cucumber slaw recipe?"