- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salsa and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine pinto beans and water. Cover and process until almost smooth. Add to beef mixture. Stir in cheese.
- Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold ends and sides over filling; roll up. Wrap each burrito in waxed paper and foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To use frozen burritos: Remove foil and waxed paper. Place one burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°, turning burrito over once. Let stand for 20 seconds. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forFreezer Burritos
"Awesome. On my 4th double batch in a month! easy, yummy convenient exactly as written. They're never in the freezer for long."
"This is excellent. Made exactly as instructed, and mine never made it to the freezer. Great recipe. Thanks."
"Hubby and I made this recipe multiplied by 6! today for our upcoming Pastor's Appreciation fiesta meal. We used part El Pato tomato sauce for the salsa and this gave them a little extra spice. For the refried beans, we used three of the 31oz cans instead of making our own. We got 80 burritos plus had leftover filling that I can make tostados with tomorrow night. Excellent, easy recipe. I HAD to eat one because it broke. :-)"
"Fantastic. Used grass-fed beef and black beans in lieu of pintos. Didn't quite have all of the salsa, so I used 1c. salsa and 1/4c taco sauce. Also used a slightly larger 10" tortilla which made wrapping easier."
"I mixed a batch of these for my family. They never made it to the freezer. They are delicious!!"
"Just made this recipe and it was delicious and easy. Haven't tried using them from the freezer yet but hoping they'll be just as good reheated."
"Love the filling over nachos too. It's delicious."
"I made this recipe. They are amazing...I just love them."
"I can't keep enough of these in the freezer - everyone loves them!"