Freckled Butterhorn Rolls
From the time they were old enough to talk, my two kids told me these rolls looked like they had freckles. The name stuck.
Total TimePrep: 30 Min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 8 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in wheat germ and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place pointed end down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Freckled Butterhorn Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.