Freckled Butterhorn Rolls
From the time they were old enough to talk, my two kids told me these rolls looked like they had freckles. The name stuck.
Total TimePrep: 30 Min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 8 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in wheat germ and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place pointed end down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.