Franks N Cabbage
Getting my kids to eat cabbage is a challenge, so I dress it up with this recipe. The kids like the franks and the creamy, mild mustard sauce. It's an easy, fun meal for the whole family.—Precious Owens, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Place cabbage in a saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, place 1 in. of water in a skillet. Bring to a boil; add the hot dogs. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 7 minutes.
- For mustard sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk and mustard. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain cabbage and hot dogs; serve with mustard sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 369 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1123mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Franks 'N' Cabbage in Taste of Home February/March 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.