"Several members of my family enjoy meatless dishes, and I'm partial to casseroles, so this tasty dish pleases everyone," relates Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana. "It lets the goodness of the veggies come through."
Recommended: Top 10 Squash Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute zucchini, mushrooms and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until zucchini is crisp-tender; remove and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in zucchini mixture, artichokes, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Four-Vegetable Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p47