"Several members of my family enjoy meatless dishes, and I'm partial to casseroles, so this tasty dish pleases everyone," relates Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana. "It lets the goodness of the veggies come through."
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichokes, drained and quartered
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, mushrooms and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until zucchini is crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter. stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the zucchini mixture, artichokes, cheese, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Four-Vegetable Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p47