Four-Pepper Ribeye Roast
Our home economists suggest you consider the grill next time you serve prime rib for a special meal. For a more robust flavor, marinate the seasoned roast overnight.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Grill: 2 hours + standing
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef ribeye roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups soaked wood chips, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Rub with seasonings; cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling; brush with oil. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions if desired.
- Place roast over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium-low heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 356 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Planked Roast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.