Four-Pepper Ribeye Roast
Our home economists suggest you consider the grill next time you serve prime rib for a special meal. For a more robust flavor, marinate the seasoned roast overnight.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Grill: 2 hours + standing
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef ribeye roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups soaked wood chips, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Rub with seasonings; cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling; brush with oil. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions if desired.
- Place roast over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium-low heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 356 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Planked Roast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips