My grandmother used to prepare grits for my grandfather, who was from the South. I adapted her recipe to make use of ingredients that are available in supermarkets today. —Robin Baskette, Lexington, Kentucky
Recommended: Healthy Mardi Gras Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, prepare grits according to package directions. Reduce heat to low; add remaining butter. Fold in cream cheese mixture; stir in eggs. Stir in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, Velveeta cheese and seasonings until cheeses are melted.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 16 servings (1/2 cup each).
Originally published as Four-Cheese Garlic Grits in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p95