- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter with oil. Add the onions, salt and sugar; cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; set aside. Combine the cheeses.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFour-Cheese French Onion Soup
"I forgot-I used mayan sweet onions in this instead of just regular yellow"
"Family loved it-even better reheated the next day!"