Four-Cheese French Onion Soup
This beef broth is slightly sweet...not too salty like so many other soups. Serve this as a first course on special occasions or as a meal by itself with a green salad.—Gail Van Osdell, St. Charles, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter with oil. Add the onions, salt and sugar; cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; set aside. Combine the cheeses.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 388 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.