Four Berry Margaritas
I love to whip up a few batches of homemade margarita mix to give to all of my cocktail-loving friends. I used to let it simmer away on the stove, but now, I use my slow cooker. —Vianney Rodriguez, XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXX
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 4 hours
Makes56 servings (14 cups margarita mix)
- 12 cups water
- 3 packages (12 ounces each) frozen unsweetened mixed berries, thawed
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks (4 inches)
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- EACH SERVING:
- Lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce tequila blanco
- 1 ounce Cointreau or orange liqueur
- Combine water, berries, sugar, and cinnamon in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until berries are tender, 4-6 hours. Press through a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard pulp, seeds and cinnamon sticks. Cool cooking liquid completely. Stir in lime juice. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- For each serving, using lime wedge, moisten the rim of a margarita or cocktail glass. Set aside lime wedge for garnish. Sprinkle salt on a plate; dip rim into salt. If desired, fill glass with ice; set aside. Discard remaining salt on plate.
- Fill a cocktail shaker three-fourths full with ice. Add 1/4 cup berry mixture, 1 oz. tequila and 1 oz. Cointreau; cover and shake until condensation forms on outside of shaker, 10-15 seconds. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish with reserved lime wedge. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 margarita: 219 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Four Berry Margaritas in Taste of Home August/September 2019