This side dish always gets compliments. It’s easy to make ahead and simmer in the slow cooker, so it’s super convenient to take to potlucks and church get-togethers. —Susanne Wasson, Montgomery, New York
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Place the beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 297 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 27, 2009
This is an easy dish to prepare the night before, refrigerate and then just plug the crock pot in the next day. I took this to Xmas dinner and it was a hit. I used turkey bacon and would like to try vegetarian bacon the next time.