Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni; cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle servings with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheese): 202 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Dec 10, 2016
I have made this soup many times and it is delicious every time. It has become one of my "go to" recipes that the whole family loves
Oct 6, 2013
Love it. Had to substitute beans for the garbanzo as my husband thinks he doesn't like them.
Sep 18, 2012
I had seen all the negative reviews, but still thought the overall recipe was good. Substituted beef broth and cannelini beans and it was wonderful!
Mar 10, 2011
I have been wanting to make th is recipe for years. First, I didn't add all 28 oz of canned tomatoes, I added one 14.5 oz of canned tomatoes, and added about 14 oz chicken broth. I didn't like the zucchini or the chick peas that it called for, and instead would have added potatoes. Other than that my kids really enjoyed it, especially my 2 year old daughter.
Mar 18, 2010
I didn't enjoy this recipe at all, too "herby" for my taste.
Nov 12, 2009
This soup was very good. I like all the veggies in it. Better the next day.
Nov 3, 2009
Great soup for a winter day. The cheese finishes it off nicely. First time making it and would definitely make again. I don't add the pasta thou to any finished recipe with sauce/broth. Add the pasta to the dish as I serve.
Jan 18, 2008
This soup is definitely worth the effort. The beef cooks up very tender. I do not use the bouillon and yet it is very tasty. Better than the soup you can get in restaurants!