Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Stir in chicken and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice. Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 31, 2018
I made this as our after-church meal for Christmas Eve. Everyone really liked it! It was great to be able to put it all together earlier in the day, and then just add the shrimp and make the rice when I got home. I'll definitely make this again.
Dec 27, 2018
Thank you, SRAdair, for your review! I just got an Instant Pot for Christmas and am anxious to try it. This recipe sounds yummy, and I'm going to give it the Instant Pot treatment you outlined
Sep 30, 2018
This is my go to recipe for entertaining. I start it eight hours before the dinner is served. The table is set and I can visit with my guest when they arrive with a minimal amount to do before dinner is served. This is a delicious dish. Served with coleslaw and hot rice. This one pot dish is easy to clean up and gives me more time with my guests.
Mar 1, 2018
Super easy to make. This is my favorite Jambalaya recipe.
Feb 19, 2018
I made this according to the recipe and it was wonderful. Served it for company. Everyone loved it.
Dec 23, 2017
I lived in Baton Rouge, and I can honestly say that this is pretty good. Deddmen you can keep your real Jambalaya. You don't see me getting mad at non Hispanic restaurants for making Tacos.
Sep 13, 2017
Calm Down, deddmen; you'll get your pressure up. ;0) There are all kinds of tastes; all types of cooks. This is a good crockpot gumbo-like dish ... works great for weeknights. Maybe sometime we can go down to Louisiana and enjoy real Jambalaya. This is fine for what it is.
Sep 13, 2017
This Is Not Jambalaya!! This is some kind of sauce served Over Rice!With Real, Actual, Cajun Jambalaya; the Rice is cooked in with all of the other ingredients!! That way the flavor is In the rice Not Sitting On Top Of It!! I can't believe the other reviewers liked this recipe!!! They Must have been from up north or someplace where cooking with spice is a Novelty Thing! Come down south to the Jambalaya Festival in Gonzales, Louisiana one year and you'll taste REAL JAMBALAYA!!
Apr 24, 2017
Tasty. Did not have any shrimp so I skipped out of this ingredient and dish was still tasty!!!
Mar 5, 2017
My family loves it!!!