Surprise your favorite fan on his birthday with a cake he's bound to get a kick out of! This cake can cover the field for non-birthday occasions, as well. Think what a hit it would be at a Super Bowl party, taken along for tailgating at a game this fall, or at a bake sale to raise funds for the local school football team, cheerleaders or pep band! —Ruth Andrewson, Leavenworth, Washington
Featured In: Tailgating Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 bar (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 white pipe cleaners
- In a small bowl, pour water over chocolate; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Grease and flour one 8-in. round baking pan and one 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. If desired, line bottoms with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- Pour 2-1/2 cups batter into round baking pan. Pour the remaining batter into the rectangular pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes (round) and 35-40 minutes (rectangular) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks. Remove waxed paper and cool completely.
- For frosting, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk and egg yolks until smooth. Add butter; bring to a boil over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and coconut.
- Cool completely; set aside 3/4 cup. Tint remaining frosting green. Place rectangular cake on serving platter; frost top and sides with green frosting. Place 1/2 cup vanilla frosting in a decorator tube; pipe yard lines across cake.
- For football, slice a 2-in.-wide strip from the center of round cake (save for another use). Spread reserved coconut frosting between layers of cake, forming the football. Place cut side down on a flat surface.
- Combine remaining vanilla frosting with cocoa; frost top and sides of football. Use decorator tube to pipe laces on football. With a large spatula, carefully lift football and place on the green cake. Use three pipe cleaners at each end of cake to form goalposts. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Football Cake in Country Woman January/February 1996, p38