Fontina-Vegetable Crab Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup canned lump crabmeat
- Pat corn dry; transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the onion, red peppers and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, thyme, cayenne and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth. Gradually stir into broth mixture; add cheese. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and cheese is melted. Top servings with crab.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 366 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1169mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Nov 17, 2013
LOVE this soup--and it's been added to my soup favorites. I did have to make a few changes: family does not like corn and leaving it out made the soup a bit thin, so I separately cooked a couple of potatoes (diced, boiled, and slightly mashed) before adding them to the soup; the addition of the potatoes made this more chowder-like. I added half of a carrot (grated, which provided another color to the soup); and because of trying to keep costs down, I added the flaked-version of imitation crab meat. The soup is even better the next day. Truly delicious!
Apr 28, 2013
This is sooooo delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I had to adjust this for my own way of eating but stayed true to the recipe as much as possible. I subbed arrowroot for regular flour, butter for the canola, canned coconut milk for the heavy cream (only because I didn't have any) and skipped the corn because I am grain free.
Feb 19, 2013
This was really good. I didn't have any corn so I made it without, but it was really good even with out the corn. Will make this again. *** My second review **, I now used the corn in it was better yet with it, and since my first review I had made this soup over and over again.
Jan 19, 2013
Most seafood soups have an overpowering taste of cream and seafood, but not this one it's perfect.
Jan 16, 2013
I thought roasting the corn was a step that didn't produce much additional flavor. Next time I will make it quicker by adding corn cut from cob or even from a can. Would otherwise keep this recipe as is. Family loved this recipe and will definitely be made again and again.