Fontina & Sweet Potato Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon VSATEST or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°. Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/4-in. slices. Cut each slice into 1/2-in.-wide strips; place in a microwave-safe dish. Add water. Microwave, covered, on high 3-4 minutes or until potato is almost tender. Drain; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Unroll and press dough onto a greased 12-in. pizza pan. If desired, pinch edge to form a rim. Sprinkle with mozzarella and fontina cheeses; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Top with sweet potato; sprinkle with herbs. Drizzle with remaining oil; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake on lowest oven rack 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 374 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 819mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Sep 19, 2016
I wanted to like this pizza. I thought the sweet potatoes would be a delicious pizza topping, and I was excited for the fontina cheese. Unfortunately my husband and I agreed that this pizza had NO flavor. Very, very bland. I think this combination could be good with some sliced apple or pear, but I'm not going to try. I won't be making this again.
Mar 26, 2015
I thought it had great flavor with the sweet potatoes. Hubby not quite as impressed.
Feb 27, 2014
This was such a fun pizza! I have never seen sweet potatoes as a pizza topping before this. I was so excited to try it. I did use wheat pizza dough. I am a pizza sauce fan. To me...it's all about the sauce, so I added a homemade white sauce to this pizza recipe. I also caramelized onions to add to the pizza. I completely forgot to add the herbs, but it was still absolutely delicious! Love the great idea!
Feb 9, 2014
My toddler who is against vegetables at the moment loved this pizza. It was a great way to get him to eat his vegetables. I did use my homemade whole wheat pizza dough instead of the refrigerated. My husband on the other hand did not like the pizza and thought it didn't have enough flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.