Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 drops peppermint oil
- 2-1/2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine milk and corn syrup. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be stiff). Divide into two portions.
- For peppermint patties, add the peppermint oil to one portion. Shape 1/2 teaspoonfuls into balls and flatten. In a microwave, melt 1 pound of candy coating, stir until smooth. With a slotted spoon, dip peppermint disks in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to harden. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
- For chocolate-covered cherries, drain cherries, reserving 3 tablespoons of juice; set cherries aside. Combine juice with remaining fondant. Add additional confectioners' sugar if necessary to form a stiff mixture.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; flatten to 2-in. circles. Wrap each circle around a cherry and carefully shape into a ball. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely. Melt remaining candy coating; dip cherries in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to harden. Refrigerate in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks for candy to ripen and center to soften.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 343 calories, 13g fat (11g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 3, 2012
yes it is a nice recipe and can be tried with marzipan filling too.
Dec 4, 2011
Fondant wouldn't stay around the cherries and kept sliding off. It was a huge mess.
Jan 20, 2011
This recipe was a disaster. I had to keep tweaking the fondant to get rid of the sugar taste, then, just as i thought it came out fine, it turned into a blob on the cherries. I don't know why I proceeded to dip them in the chocolate, but I did, & the fondant melted off the cherry & I was left w/ a huge mess. The recipe was not specific at all, so I didn't know about how to make the fondant set. Either way, I ended up throwing the entire mess away. Never making this again.