Fluffy Pineapple Dessert
My aunt makes this dessert for weddings and baby showers. These squares have a wonderful rich taste with just the right amount of pineapple. People always ask if they came from a bakery.—Donna Gaston, Coplay, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) crushed unsweetened pineapple, undrained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and sour cream. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, egg yolks and pineapple. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to the pan. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.