Fluffy Harvest Omelet
With its mushrooms, zucchini and tomato sauce, this hearty omelet isn't just for breakfast. Your family will savor it as a change-of-pace lunch or dinner. And you can alter the ingredients to include whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian tomato sauce
- 1 cup cubed fresh zucchini
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add salt; continue beating until stiff peaks form. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, cream, Parmesan cheese and pepper until foamy. Gently fold into the egg whites.
- Melt butter in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; pour egg mixture into skillet; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until eggs are nearly set
- Uncover; bake in a 350° oven for 5-8 minutes or until top is golden brown and eggs are set. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over omelet; fold in half and top with tomato sauce. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.