Fluffy Harvest Omelet
With its mushrooms, zucchini and tomato sauce, this hearty omelet isn't just for breakfast. Your family will savor it as a change-of-pace lunch or dinner. And you can alter the ingredients to include whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian tomato sauce
- 1 cup cubed fresh zucchini
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add salt; continue beating until stiff peaks form. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, cream, Parmesan cheese and pepper until foamy. Gently fold into the egg whites.
- Melt butter in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; pour egg mixture into skillet; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until eggs are nearly set
- Uncover; bake in a 350° oven for 5-8 minutes or until top is golden brown and eggs are set. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over omelet; fold in half and top with tomato sauce. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 311 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 362mg cholesterol, 1091mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Fluffy Harvest Omelet in 1996 Taste of Home Meals in Minutes Calendar