Fluffy Cherry Frosting
Try topping your favorite cake with this creamy cooked frosting from our Test Kitchen. A pink tint and a hint of cherry flavor make it extra special.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cherry juice and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 107 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 25, 2011
Mixed review here. The consistency of this frosting is wonderful! The cherry part of it made it taste like cough syrup so hubby won't eat it. I like it and it's gorgeous too!Very easy to make but will try this with lemon next time.