Fluffy Cherry Frosting
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cherry juice and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 107 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 25, 2011
Mixed review here. The consistency of this frosting is wonderful! The cherry part of it made it taste like cough syrup so hubby won't eat it. I like it and it's gorgeous too!Very easy to make but will try this with lemon next time.