- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 28 caramels
- 1 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Caramel ice cream topping and additional pecans, optional
- Combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Cover and chill.
- Meanwhile, place cold water in a heavy saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand for 1 minute. Add caramels, milk and salt; cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved and caramels are melted. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until mixture mounds when stirred with a spoon. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with ice cream topping and pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFluffy Caramel Pie
"Forget the gingersnap cookies, I hate gingersnap cookies! I used a graham cracker crust instead, and it was wonderful."
"We had a pie contest at work. I found this recipe on your web site and thought I'd take a chance. I won first place!"