I love to make pancakes for my family on Saturday mornings. Since we often have ripe bananas, I decided to add them to a batch of pancake batter. The results were delicious!—Lori Stevens, Riverton, Utah
Recommended: Our Best Pancake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe medium banana, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in banana and walnuts.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Cook until bubbles begin to form on top and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 5-10 minutes. Or, place two pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 40-50 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 14 pancakes.
Originally published as Fluffy Banana Pancakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p69