—Jackie Hannahs, Fountain, Michigan Judi Oudekerk of Buffalo, Minnesota features these sweet treats as one of a number of “cooking club” projects at the after-school program she supervises. “The flower-topped cupcakes are so easy that even children in our kindergarten make them,” she assures. “They’re great for a spring or summer birthday party.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 16 pieces Fruit by the Foot
- 24 large green gumdrops
- 48 large assorted gumdrops
- 48 pretzel sticks
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut three 9-in. pieces from each fruit roll piece (save small pieces for another use). With a small pastry brush, lightly brush water on one end of a fruit strip. Wrap around bottom of cupcake; press ends together. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Lightly brush water on one side of remaining fruit strips; fold in half lengthwise. Brush one end with water; wrap around cupcake top, slightly overlapping bottom fruit strip.
- Press each gumdrop into a 1-1/4-in. circle. With scissors, cut each green gumdrop into four leaf shapes; set aside. Cut one end of each remaining gumdrop into a tulip shape. Gently press a pretzel into each tulip-shaped gumdrop. Gently press gumdrop leaves onto pretzels. Press two flowers into the top of each cupcake.
Nov 15, 2010
don't put the preztels in too early or they'll get soggy. they were a lot of time but very fun for a special birthday
Apr 6, 2010
These were very cute, but a pain to make. They took forever and they did not even taste that great.