Flower Garden Soup
Fresh vegetables flavor traditional chicken soup in this bountiful blend. To add seasonal fun, just cut notches in the carrots and zucchini to make "petals" slice the veggies, then simmer up bowls of blooms!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 medium carrots
- 1 medium zucchini
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Using a zest stripper or paring knife, cut a lengthwise strip on each carrot, forming a notch. Repeat at equals intervals around carrot. Repeat with zucchini. Cut carrots and zucchini into 1/4-in. slices; set zucchini aside.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the carrots, celery, onion, broth, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add chicken and reserved zucchini; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Flower Garden Soup in Crafting Traditions March/April 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.