Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Ice Cream
This luscious dessert features a chocolaty cake, peanut butter ice cream and a smooth coffee-flavored sauce. Every element can conveniently be made in advance.—Rebekah Beyer, Sabetha, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- ICE CREAM:
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- Chopped chocolate
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk and sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; stir in peanut butter until blended. Place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- For cake, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat; whisk in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° until set, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream and espresso powder until bubbles form around the sides of pan. Whisk a small amount into yolk mixture. Return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in liqueur. Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve cake with ice cream and sauce. Garnish servings with chopped chocolate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece of cake with 3 tablespoons ice cream and 4 teaspoons sauce: 477 calories, 37g fat (20g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.