Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar; cover and process until ground. Combine water and cocoa; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in the almond mixture, cocoa mixture and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into a 6-in. springform pan coated with cooking spay. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 321 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Jun 1, 2016
I happen tohave almond flour' could that be substituted for the almonds?
Apr 24, 2011
the egg whites didn't fold in all that well... The cake didn't taste all that bad. It is very light and fluffy, so i was pleased with the finished product's texture... However, it certainly didn't "wow" me. It doesn't look like the picture! lol. Might be better with icing?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.