Florets with Parmesan Sauce
For a simple but winning side dish, try this broccoli and cauliflower drizzled with a smooth sauce. I sprinkle extra Parmesan on top just before serving.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place broccoli and cauliflower in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the broth, cream and mustard. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion powder and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Place vegetables in a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Originally published as Vegetables with Parmesan Cheese Sauce in Country Woman Christmas 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.