Tossed in a homemade cheese sauce, these tender cauliflower and broccoli florets from our Test Kitchen make a tasty topping for the mashed potatoes. But the combination also can be served as a side dish to round out most any meal.
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and salt until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and pepper sauce. Stir until cheese is melted. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Florets with Cheese Sauce in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006, p41
Reviews forFlorets with Cheese Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2015