Florets with Cheese Sauce
Tossed in a homemade cheese sauce, these tender cauliflower and broccoli florets from our Test Kitchen make a tasty topping for the mashed potatoes. But the combination also can be served as a side dish to round out most any meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and salt until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and pepper sauce. Stir until cheese is melted. Add vegetables and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 97 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cauliflower and Broccoli with Cheese Sauce in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.