Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes4 servings plus 16 cooked meatballs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 32 balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 24-28 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Save half of the meatballs for Italian Stroganoff (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use. In a large saucepan, heat spaghetti sauce; add the remaining meatballs. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without spaghetti): 403 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 1197mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2017
Very good! I had to cut the spinach by 1/3 otherwise, it was great!
Jan 29, 2012
The texture was tender. I formed them with a 1/4 cup measuring cup and they were a nice size. I added 1 tsp crushed fennel seed for more flavor, however, I they still they need more seasoning such as salt, Italian seasoning, and increase to 1 Tbsp of crushed fennel seed because they were bland tasting. I will definitely make this recipe again.
Oct 28, 2011
I agree with moosetrax75. There is just too much spinach. That says a lot for me because spinach is my favorite vegetable but not in these.
Oct 26, 2011
My husband and I LOVED this recipe! But, I couldn't find boxes of frozen spinach and had to buy a bag instead. I used half of the bag and that seemed to be a better amount than the two boxes the recipe calls for. We ate them over hot rice and it was really yummy!
Aug 22, 2011
I liked the idea of using meatballs in a stroganoff. For the other half of the meatballs, though, instead of spaghetti, I made meatball subs!
Aug 22, 2011
Like moosetrax75, I reduced the amount of spinach, as it semmed like too much. I like my food without much salt, so that wasn't a problem for me. I seasoned the meatball mix with oregano and basil.
Aug 14, 2011
These meatballs are tender and tasty. However, I think there is a problem with the ingredients proportion-if I make again, I will cut spinach to ONE package (10 oz). Be sure to thaw and drain well first--I use a clean dish towel and literally squeeze it to death. Other ingredients are okay--these need salt and pepper. Very much needed salt right out of the oven. Next time instead of adding afterward, I plan to use salt/pepper in the mix. Not bad, but need tweaking.