Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes4 servings plus 16 cooked meatballs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 32 balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 24-28 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Save half of the meatballs for Italian Stroganoff (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use. In a large saucepan, heat spaghetti sauce; add the remaining meatballs. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without spaghetti): 403 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 1197mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 9, 2017
Very good! I had to cut the spinach by 1/3 otherwise, it was great!
Jan 29, 2012
The texture was tender. I formed them with a 1/4 cup measuring cup and they were a nice size. I added 1 tsp crushed fennel seed for more flavor, however, I they still they need more seasoning such as salt, Italian seasoning, and increase to 1 Tbsp of crushed fennel seed because they were bland tasting. I will definitely make this recipe again.
Oct 28, 2011
I agree with moosetrax75. There is just too much spinach. That says a lot for me because spinach is my favorite vegetable but not in these.
Oct 26, 2011
My husband and I LOVED this recipe! But, I couldn't find boxes of frozen spinach and had to buy a bag instead. I used half of the bag and that seemed to be a better amount than the two boxes the recipe calls for. We ate them over hot rice and it was really yummy!
Aug 22, 2011
I liked the idea of using meatballs in a stroganoff. For the other half of the meatballs, though, instead of spaghetti, I made meatball subs!
Aug 22, 2011
Like moosetrax75, I reduced the amount of spinach, as it semmed like too much. I like my food without much salt, so that wasn't a problem for me. I seasoned the meatball mix with oregano and basil.
Aug 14, 2011
These meatballs are tender and tasty. However, I think there is a problem with the ingredients proportion-if I make again, I will cut spinach to ONE package (10 oz). Be sure to thaw and drain well first--I use a clean dish towel and literally squeeze it to death. Other ingredients are okay--these need salt and pepper. Very much needed salt right out of the oven. Next time instead of adding afterward, I plan to use salt/pepper in the mix. Not bad, but need tweaking.