For a tasty twist on conventional chili, try this low-fat version. It's packed with plenty of beans, tender grilled chicken and a zippy blend of spices. —Wilda Bensenhaver of Deland, Florida
Featured In: 46 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled and cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Place beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add the chicken, chilies and salt; cover and cook for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful White Chili in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p31
Reviews forFlavorful White Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2010
"Didn't care for the spice mixture."
Reviewed Oct. 30, 2009
"This is always a hit and my favorite white chili recipe."
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2009