Flavorful Turkey Meatballs
It’s hard to believe meatballs this juicy, flavorful and tender could be low in fat and calories—and sized just right for two. Thanks to our Test Kitchen for a zesty meal mainstay that can double as an appetizer.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 drops Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/3 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, green pepper, egg white, garlic and hot sauce. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a small nonstick skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain.
- Combine the sauce ingredients; pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.