Flavorful Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, crushed
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 5-1/2 cups sugar
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice; stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- 2. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
2 tablespoons: 99 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Jun 26, 2018
Tastes fine, but failed to set.
Dec 31, 1969
I have a question— The recipe sounds as if you take 4 cups of berries and then crush them, giving you closer to 3 cups of berries, is that correct? But if you do it that way, the total volume doesn’t yield 6 pints, as the recipe states. Could this variation be the reason some people are having issues with it setting?
Jun 5, 2018
Made this recipe for the past three summers. I just doubled the recipe...I know that this is breaking the cardinal rule of canning, but it still worked beautifully.
Easy, fast and delicious! It sells well at our Independence Day Carnival, too.
May 31, 2018
I made this jam last night and it is exactly what I was looking for. I love rhubarb in anything. I made sure to chop my rhubarb quite small so that it softened up nicely and wasn't in big chunks. Mine set up perfectly, and I will definitely make this again.
Jun 22, 2017
Reading the reviews made me choose this recipe but unfortunately the first time I made this is did not set. So I followed the sure jell instructions to redo if it did not set which worked . It is very good but having to double can the jam is time consuming. Well I thought maybe I did something wrong so I re-read the reviews and I did not see this trouble so I attempted this recipe again . Well it did not set again so now I will hopefully get it to set after re- processing after adding more sure jell.will give it 2 stars because of the taste but really not worth the effort.
next time I will find a different recipe
Jun 14, 2017
I'm a home economist and this is the BEST jam I have made. The receipe is very easy and it sets up nicely. I process some and then put some directly into the freezer, depending on how much room I have in the freezer. No one can go wrong with this recipe. I have already made 6 batches and the first batch went as gifts and all loved it. Thank You to the person sending in the recipe.
Apr 30, 2016
Strawberry rhubarb flavor combination is one of my favorites and this recipe doesn't disappoint. The tartness of the rhubarb cuts down on the sweetness of the strawberries for the perfect bite. This is great heated up and spooned over ice cream or pound cake too.
Jun 22, 2015
This is really good. I actually don't like strawberry jam, but I liked this because the rhubarb cut the sweetness. My husband (who loves strawberry rhubarb pie) really enjoyed this.
Jun 21, 2015
This recipe is yummy. Quick and easy
May 20, 2015
I have a batch of this jam in the canner now. It was an easy recipe to make. I did cook the rhubarb on it's own so that it was very soft. I have grand kids that love my strawberry jam, but don't know that rhubarb is in the jam. They are very picky eaters I got 6 half pints and 2 4 oz jars. This recipe is a keeper.