Flavorful Rice Dressing
My original dressing seems to satisfy people who prefer dressing made with bread and those who prefer a rice variety. It includes both, plus spinach and a hint of orange for unexpected surprises. Leftover dressing (if there is any!) reheats well. -Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 7 slices day-old bread, torn
- 1 cup torn corn bread
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup firmly packed sliced fresh spinach
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, lightly toss bread and water. In a skillet, saute celery, onion and mushrooms in oil until tender, stirring constantly. Stir into bread mixture. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 162 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Flavorful Rice Dressing in Taste of Home October/November 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.