Flavorful Mexican Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, corn, oil, onion and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 236 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 30, 2012
Husband loved it, I thought it was okay. I think I prefer corn bread without pepper & onions, but husband devoured it.~ Theresa
Feb 6, 2012
This corn bread was okay. The main problem I had is that it was very crumbly. If I were ever to make this again, I would probably omit the onion. It is very easy to make however. I have a different corn bread recipe "Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread" from Taste of Home that I prefer.
Nov 10, 2009
Since I prefer a less crumbly cornbread, I found this recipe to be excellent. It was savory like a Southern cornbread and sweeter like a Northern cornbread. As I have a dairy allergy, I substituted Almond Breeze and 2 T lemon juice for the buttermilk and left out the cheese altogether (I have yet to find a cheese substitute that I think tastes good). Also, as I prefer a finer ground cornmeal, I used a fine ground masa harina rather than regular cornmeal. As none of these changes should affect the texture of the finished product I think mine was close enough to the original to say it was an excellent recipe. I will make this again.
Mar 27, 2009
Did not like it. Too moist. Tastes like a sweet western omelet instead of corn bread.