Flavorful Mexican Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, corn, oil, onion and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 236 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2012
Husband loved it, I thought it was okay. I think I prefer corn bread without pepper & onions, but husband devoured it.~ Theresa
Feb 6, 2012
This corn bread was okay. The main problem I had is that it was very crumbly. If I were ever to make this again, I would probably omit the onion. It is very easy to make however. I have a different corn bread recipe "Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread" from Taste of Home that I prefer.
Nov 10, 2009
Since I prefer a less crumbly cornbread, I found this recipe to be excellent. It was savory like a Southern cornbread and sweeter like a Northern cornbread. As I have a dairy allergy, I substituted Almond Breeze and 2 T lemon juice for the buttermilk and left out the cheese altogether (I have yet to find a cheese substitute that I think tastes good). Also, as I prefer a finer ground cornmeal, I used a fine ground masa harina rather than regular cornmeal. As none of these changes should affect the texture of the finished product I think mine was close enough to the original to say it was an excellent recipe. I will make this again.
Mar 27, 2009
Did not like it. Too moist. Tastes like a sweet western omelet instead of corn bread.