- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, corn, oil, onion and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forFlavorful Mexican Corn Bread
"Husband loved it, I thought it was okay. I think I prefer corn bread without pepper & onions, but husband devoured it.~ Theresa"
"Since I prefer a less crumbly cornbread, I found this recipe to be excellent. It was savory like a Southern cornbread and sweeter like a Northern cornbread. As I have a dairy allergy, I substituted Almond Breeze and 2 T lemon juice for the buttermilk and left out the cheese altogether (I have yet to find a cheese substitute that I think tastes good). Also, as I prefer a finer ground cornmeal, I used a fine ground masa harina rather than regular cornmeal. As none of these changes should affect the texture of the finished product I think mine was close enough to the original to say it was an excellent recipe. I will make this again."
"Did not like it. Too moist. Tastes like a sweet western omelet instead of corn bread."