- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine first six ingredients. Combine remaining ingredients; add to dry ingredients and stir only until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan or 10-inch heavy skillet. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and test done. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forFlavorful Mexican Corn Bread
"Husband loved it, I thought it was okay. I think I prefer corn bread without pepper & onions, but husband devoured it.~ Theresa"
"Since I prefer a less crumbly cornbread, I found this recipe to be excellent. It was savory like a Southern cornbread and sweeter like a Northern cornbread. As I have a dairy allergy, I substituted Almond Breeze and 2 T lemon juice for the buttermilk and left out the cheese altogether (I have yet to find a cheese substitute that I think tastes good). Also, as I prefer a finer ground cornmeal, I used a fine ground masa harina rather than regular cornmeal. As none of these changes should affect the texture of the finished product I think mine was close enough to the original to say it was an excellent recipe. I will make this again."
"Did not like it. Too moist. Tastes like a sweet western omelet instead of corn bread."