Flavorful Marinated Mozzarella
This make-ahead appetizer picks up wonderful flavor from the vinegar and spices. I’ve made it with fat-free mozzarella, and it still tasted just as good.—Rita Reinke, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup (4 ounces) 1/2-inch cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Prick mozzarella cubes with a fork; place in a glass bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature.
- Pour over cheese. Stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts1/8 pound: 516 calories, 47g fat (12g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Marinated Mozzarella in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook